Monday, June 29, 2015

EqualiTEA Cookies (insert pun dog)

Friday was such a wonderfully monumental day.  Equality rang throughout the country and all I wanted to do was celebrate (in between crying out of happiness.) I celebrated kinda the only way I know how- it's either a dance party or baking with glitter.  I chose the latter for this occasion, but lets me honest, it was a little bit of both.  

I knew I wanted to make rainbow colored SOMETHING.  At first I picked cupcakes, bc they are kinda my go to, but we just moved and the space of our kitchen is kinda tight, so I thought I should stick with something a little more compact.  I chose Tea Cookies… equaliTEA cookies, that is.  Heheh.   

I grabbed "Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar" for my roll-out dough.






I looooved how fluffy this dough got-  though it ended up not being such a great thing. Haha.



I will be the first to tell you that I am terrible at rolling things out.  I avoid making pies for this very reason. After being left in the fridge overnight (per recipe) this dough melted almost immediately.  I added about a cup more flour to it to stiffen it up when all was said and done.








Not perfect, but again, I'm not great with dough. (Also- there's nothing some really colorful icing and glitter can't cover)  I learned a lot this time that I will take into consideration for the next go around. 







I'm DEFINITELY a "throw it together" royal icing-er.   Just start out with a cup of powdered sugar, and add 1/4 vanilla (or any other flavor), and just add a teaspoon of milk (I use almond milk) until it gets to where you can stir it.  You want it to be thick so that it dries well on the cookie.





Lets be honest, the decorating is always my favorite part.  I just dip the cookie in and hang it upside down and scrape off any extra dripping icing. You want the tops covered, but anything extra is going to go rolling over the sides before it dries.








I painted tiny glitter hearts on the bottom of each cookie, which I TOTALLY forgot to take a picture of bc I was running late and wanted to get the kitchen clean before I left. (...bc I'm a SUPER considerate girlfriend… *insert Rene rolling his eyes here*)  I made the glitter "paint" out of 6 tablespoons of white sugar into 2 tablespoon boiling water.  I added a bunch of Disco Shaker edible glitter and viola!

I ended up taking these cookies to said party, and other than forgetting the host was gluten intolerant, I'd say they were a success.

Yay for love winning! and Glitter!

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment